A Special Letter.........

When we returned from Nashville last night after a fun weekend visit with Erich and Mallory, Maria handed me a letter that she had been given while visiting a jail cell on Friday night.  This letter was written to me by an inmate I had met last Friday night while we were sharing devotions with seventeen women who were living in one cell. 

This particular girl had broken my heart.  After walking through such a difficult season in my own life this fall, it was humbling to sit and hold the hands of a person whose life had reached the very bottom of a lonely, dark pit - deeper than any I could ever imagine.

Something about her drew me in.  I'm not sure if it was her youth-like face, extremely crooked wire frame glasses, sweet little hair cut that made her look like she was twelve, or the tears that ran down her face.  Whatever it was, I sat and listened to her story for a long time and have not been able to get her off of my mind.  Maria was able to spend time with her this week, and before Maria could leave she was handed this note:

Tammy,

I was so glad to hear you have been thinking of me.  You have also been in my thoughts all week. 

I really want God in my life and was wanting to know if you had any kind of lessons to get me on the right track and also to help me learn.

It was on my heart to ask you and my heart tells me if I keep you in my life and use to to get to God I will be a great Christian.  You are in my prayers.

I'm going back on Friday night, and I want to take something to Amanda. Please pray that I am led to the right material for her, and if you have any suggestions I'd love to know what they are.

Please keep Amanda in your prayers and all the other men and women who have reached a point in life where their choices have caused them to be separated from the world...but never from God.

Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners,

and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering. 

Hebrews 13:3

 



3 Comments:

Blogger Leveta said...

Tammy, I haven't been able to post for awhile on your blog. Just wanted to say that I will be praying for this young girl and for you as you minister to her.The first thing that came to my mind when I read your post was perhaps taking her a beautiful journal to document her thoughts and prayers in..If I think of anything else I will get back to you.
Leveta

Blogger Marla said...

I am praying, Tammy, for Amanda and for your guidance. Hugs!

Blogger Sandy said...

I love my New American Standard Bible. It is easy for me to read and understand. I also like The Message Bible. I loved the books Radical and Crazy Love. John Piper also has a great book Don't Waste Your Life.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me