What a Responsibility........

Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.  Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.

My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back,  remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins. 

James 5:17-20

I can't imagine being Elijah, standing up to the evil people around him.

But he did.

And God listened.

Elijah knew that unless something drastic happened, the Israelites were doomed.

Earnest prayer changed the course of history, and I just wonder what our earnest prayers can do today?

We live in a time when sin is so "common" that to stand up for what is right seems almost crazy or overly judgmental.

Elijah had to know that if he prayed for "no rain" that this was going to cause pain in his own life too.

Droughts affect everyone.

Elijah took the risk, though, and prayed for no rain...and the rain stopped.

I love that God took Elijah away to the home of a starving widow, and this woman was able to help Elijah survive through a miraculous act of God.

I also love that God showed Elijah the place of a small stream so that he could drink freely during the drought.

Today, I am praying that we can pray bold prayers for the sins of our world, knowing that the answers to our prayers may cause us to suffer as well.

If we are able to do this earnestly and together, I wonder what can happen?

I do know this:

God will take care of us through the tough times that may result from our fervent prayers.

I don't know about you, but I'm ready for God to make Himself known to everyone.

I'm ready to see some things shaken up in this world.  I'm ready for the evil that is spreading in this world to be called out into Light.

 

I love that James immediately moves from the reminder of Elijah's earnest but very human prayers to the truth that we are called to help bring back those who have wandered from the truth.

We should not feel overwhelmed by our task.

God is with us.

He will provide strength...even though it may come from a frail, starving widow.

He will provide streams....even though they may be small and difficult to find without His guidance.

 

I'm earnestly praying this morning for a lost and broken world.

I hope you are too.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

About Me