Looking Back......







































































Psalm 78



1 O my people, hear my teaching;
listen to the words of my mouth.

2 I will open my mouth in parables,
I will utter hidden things, things from of old-

3 what we have heard and known,
what our fathers have told us.

4 We will not hide them from their children;
we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
his power, and the wonders he has done.

5 He decreed statutes for Jacob
and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our forefathers
to teach their children,

6 so the next generation would know them,
even the children yet to be born,
and they in turn would tell their children.

7 Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget his deeds
but would keep his commands.

These are pictures we took while at my grandpa's house in Oklahoma over Christmas break....the house where I lived when I was a little girl.

So many memories.

Walking down the long driveway to the mailbox with my grandpa.

Checking the garden to see if any tomatoes were ready to pick or if the water needed turned off or on.

Watching grandpa play horseshoes in the shade of tree.

Sliding down the old metal slide - hot from the summer sun.

Simple memories.

But, oh so precious.

I want my kids to know what my childhood was like, so when I am gone they can remember what "mom" did when she was a little girl and if they want to they can share these memories with the ones who come after them. It's our history.

I think that's what the Psalmist meant when he wrote this Psalm.

There is history in the Bible that needs to be shared with our children.

Why?

So they can tell their children.

Why?

So they can tell their children.

And on and on and on. Why?

Because we want our children to put their trust in God and keep His commands.

So even as I walk through this present valley of grief I find myself looking back to what God did for me in my grief nearly 17 years ago when we lost our daughter.

He carried me.

He never abandoned me.

He lifted me out of the pit.....over and over again.

And I trust Him to do it over and over again even now. He is my Rock. My Fortress. My Deliverer.

Just as I look back on my childhood with fond memories, I look back on my former grief and I feel peace. Peace knowing that God is the same today as He was yesterday and the day before and the day before.

He hears my cries.

And He answers.

Looking back and thanking Him,


5 Comments:

Memories, precious memories...so thankful for memories, but so many I would like to forget too! Thanks for always be so open, honest and real! You are such a blessing to me! Thank you Tammy for always making me think. You touch my life each and every day! Love you!

Blogger Susan said...

Oh Tammy,

What a legacy of HOPE and LOVE you are leaving for your children.

They will know the God you serve and how He walked right beside you, always.

So blessed to join you now as you continue your journey♥

Blogger Cheri said...

I love when memories come flooding back. Your childhood and memories of your Grandfather are quite similar to mine. Thanks for helping me remember those today.

On top of all those memories you brought back for me was one of my grandfather and I picking those ripe tomatoes and standing by an old rickety picnic table with a salt shaker eating those fresh tomatoes.

I absolutely LOVE your pictures! What a simple time back then, huh?
I often tell my husband,"let's go back and forget all the sports and hurrying and just spend time with the kids at the lake fishing (something I dearly love to do).

Let's just say I don't think the hubby could handle not having his boys in sports. Oh well, memories of another kind I guess.

Here's to passing on what Christ commands!

Congratulations on being listed in the Cafe's "Top 100 Blogs." Call me slow, I'm just now getting around to visiting everyone.
Beautiful Blog. Your heart shows.
and I love the theme/title you've chosen. Keep it up -- and the glory is all HIS!
Again, Congratulations!
:-)
~esthermay @The Heart of a Pastor's Wife

Blogger Rose said...

Tammy,
Your post today reminds me of something I read in a parenting book. Something about how at different stages of development, children will regress a little before they move to the next stage. It is a way of them to test the water and make sure it's ok. Perhaps by reminiscing of a happy time in your past, it is helping you move through your journey of grief right now.

You have such a beautiful heart, and I thank you for sharing it with us as we go on our own journeys each day.

Post a Comment

Home

About Me