Books that are Ministering To Me in My Grief
II Corinthians 1
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.



In response to Jennifer's post asking about which books I am reading that are especially helpful to me right now, I thought I would share a few that are giving me strength to face each new day.

The Bible (by far my source for all comfort and hope)

Grieving the Loss of Someone You Love
This is a book of short devotionals on all kinds of emotions experienced while grieving....you can read them in any order and/or when they especially match your feelings on any given day (guilt, anger, regret, etc.)

Hope by Nancy Guthrie
This is another book of devotions that inspire and encourage a hurting heart.

A Grace Disguised by Jerry Sittser
Mr. Sittser tells the story of the loss of his mother, wife, and daughter....all in one car accident and how he walked the valley of grief and found hope to go on.

Someday Heaven
This is a very sweet children's book that I find very comforting.

When Life is Changed Forever by Rick Taylor
Mr. Taylor's son drowned at the age of 5. In this book he shares his journey through grief and the lessons he learned along the way.

A Prayer That Moves Heaven by Ron Mehl
This is a short book that uses the story of King Jehoshaphat to show how God is with us when our world is turned upside down.


I love to read. I would be so glad to hear of any other books that might help me in my journey.

Looking forward to hearing from you,


2 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Tammy, I haven't read this book, but I've been wanting to. It has good reviews on Amazon.

Gift of the Red Bird: The Story of a Divine Encounter (Paperback)
by Paula D'Arcy (Author)

The description on Amazon says: "When Paula D'Arcy lost her husband and baby in a car crash, she began an inner search for a faith that was stronger than fear. In Gift of the Red Bird, she tells her story of spiritual exhaustion, her journey alone into the wilderness for three days, and the renewal she was blessed to experience."

One book I do have, and it is a good one but not necessarily about grief-- "Amazing Grace for those Who Suffer" includes stories of people who have faced devastating losses and the lessons they learned from them and how they were able to begin healing.

I hope that helps. You are in my prayers daily. ((Hugs))

Blogger Jennifer said...

Tammy,

Thanks for the post. Some of those I have read and others sound like ones I really want to get my hands on... The book Rose mentioned also sounds interesting. My post today was some of the books that have been so helpful.

Praying that God will continue to use all sorts of "avenues" - including books - to bring you peace and comfort. Love you friend, Jennifer

Post a Comment

Home

About Me