Thankful for God's View of the Wilderness

Acts 13:18


"....He endured their conduct for about forty years in the wilderness..."




As I was reading the Bible this morning, working my way through the book of Acts, my eyes stopped on this verse above and I sat their speechless wondering what God was trying to say to me.




So, as I read a phrase that I had never noticed before tucked inside Paul's sermon to the people in Pisidian Antioch, I wondered what he meant by the phrase, "He endured their conduct for about forty years in the wilderness...."






I've never thought about the view of the wilderness from God's perspective. I've always imagined the Israelites wandering through the desert, following a cloud by day and fire by night, trusting God for manna as their daily food.




But I've never thought about what God saw from the other side of the wilderness.




I guess I always thought God was proud of them for trusting Him for food and for continuing to walk day by day for forty years. I guess I wanted to forget about their grumbling, their complaining, their moaning, their quick decision to create a new "god" when things got rough.




God was gracious to "endure" their time in the wilderness.




So, today, I think God is saying that He is with me and you, enduring our times in the wilderness.




After all, He sees the big picture. He knows that He will meet all of our needs just when we need them....sometimes not when we think we need them, but always WHEN WE DO!




He longs to be our ONLY GOD.........and oh, how quickly we can turn to material things, other people, books, authors, etc., for the support and love that can only come from God.




So, today, as I step out to face another day of uncertainty with Nick and while I may feel that I am "wandering in the wilderness," I am thankful for a God who endures my imperfections as I often doubt, question, worry, get angry, feel alone, and the list goes on and on.




As Thanksgiving quickly approaches, what a perfect time for God to lead me to a passage that reminds me that I have so much to be thankful for even in the wilderness.




And at the top of that list, I am thankful for a God who loves me through the good and the bad days and endures my behavior!




I am thankful for each of you, too, who choose to visit my blog and in a very real way join me in my desert time. Thank you.




God bless your Thanksgiving!!


Nick slept well last night. Mom and I just helped him get on clean jammies. He was stronger yesterday than Monday. Praying for a stronger day today.




Love,




8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I read about you and your family on the Morehead Prayer Chain. I read this and thought about you and your family.

The Holy Alphabet

Although things are not perfect
Because of trial or pain
Continue in thanksgiving
Do not begin to blame
Even when the times are hard
Fierce winds are bound to blow
God is forever able
Hold on to what you know
Imagine life without His love
Joy would cease to be
Keep thanking Him for all the things
Love imparts to thee
Move out of "Camp Complaining"
No weapon that is known
On earth can yield the power
Praise can do alone
Quit looking at the future
Redeem the time at hand
Start every day with worship
To "thank" is a command
Until we see Him coming
Victorious in the sky
We'll run the race with gratitude
Xalting God most high
Yes, there'll be good times and yes some will be bad, but...
Z ion waits in glory...where none are ever sad!

"I AM Too blessed to be stressed!" The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is

the distance between your knees and the floor.
The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Love and peace be with you forever, Amen.

PS: GOD LOVES YOU

Blogger rural momma said...

I posted about you and Nick on my blog.

You are such an inspiration to me.

Please feel free to email any prayer requests to me, I lift your family to the Father daily.

nhwotton@verizon.net
That is the best email to get in touch with me. I check it daily, but I hardly ever check my gmail.

Blogger Luanne said...

Tammy--You and family are being lifted up this Thanksgiving. I posted for prayer for Nick yesterday. Only God knows how many are lifting your family up during this desert. So many are standing in the gap during this time for you--oh, if we could only see the spiritual world all around us.

Love you and your family,
Luanne

Blogger Lisa said...

I am Judy Davis's sister. When she told me about your son, I was deeply moved by your family's love for one another & your relationship with the Lord. God's blessings on you & my prayers are for you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy,

I never "caught" that phrase before either. They (the Israelites) were a bunch of whiners & complainers (so much like me) it must have taken "endurance" for God for 40 years. I am so thankful that he endures my whining & complaining too!

Still praying--hope Nick had a stronger day today and that your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

blessings,
Kim

Blogger Christina said...

I am thinking of Nick and your family always. May you have a blessed thanksgiving and may Nick feel better today and all the days to come.

Blogger Kim in NC said...

Tammy,

I've been reading your blog for awhile now (here from The Perch) and just wanted you to know that you and Nick and your family are in my prayers.

We were talking about hymns the other day on our forum and the chorus to Because He Lives has just stuck in my head.

Because He lives, I can face tomorrow.
Because He lives, All fear is gone.
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth the living just because He lives.

Love to you, Nick, and your entire family

Blogger Jennifer said...

Praying you have a blessed and peaceful day tomorrow. We are all on a wilderness journey but how wonderful to know that we never travel alone and that God is our guide as well as our companion...holding our hand every step of the way! Hugs to you and Nick...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jennifer

Post a Comment

Home

About Me