A Simple Gift

Psalm 4:8
I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety.


Peaceful sleep.

A sense of feeling safe.

Warm blankets and a soft pillow.

Cozy comfort.

I long for all of these! Don't you?



God placed these longings deep within each of us. So deep that I think the devil must simply hate it when we are able to curl up and drift away into a peaceful night of sweet dreams in spite of all the evil in this world, all the sadness in our hearts, all the confusion in our minds....

I can almost see the Grinch on Christmas morning as he proudly stands atop his hill waiting for the cries of sorrow from Whoville below. Remember how shocked he was when instead he heard the singing of happy voices................

even though Christmas had been "stolen" from every Whoville home.

How can people praise when all has been lost?

How can people sleep when their world has been turned upside down?

How can people feel safe when the future seems so uncertain?

There's only one way.

By turning EVERY worry, EVERY loss, EVERY uncertainty over to the Lord.

For He alone makes us dwell in safety and allows us to lie down and sleep in peace.

No sleeping aid. No security system.

God and God alone is all we need for a night of sweet dreams.

So, why do I find myself restless so many nights?
Why do I often lie in bed overcome with spinning thoughts of fear and sadness?
Why did I welcome 3:00 a.m. last night as if it were a friend?

Because I slip. Because I'm human. Because I forget that "My soul finds rest in God alone." (Ps. 62:1)

So, tonight, as I walk towards my bedroom, I pause here to remind myself of God's promise.

I can lie down and sleep in peace! It is a choice that I can make every night.......

if I rest in Him.

Thank you, Father, for the gift of peaceful sleep. Forgive me for the nights when I reject Your gift in exchange for tossing and turning.

Just as the Whoville citizens sang in spite of their loss, I long to sleep in spite of my anxiety.

Surrendering my heart to You tonight, Lord,


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are amazing... absolutely amazing...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lord,
I ask you to comfort Tammy. Somehow Lord,ease her pain and sorrow. Wrap your loving and caring arms around her like a soft warm blanket. Let her feel peace and security. Give her a renewed strength to take care of her family and to praise you. Please send her reminders of your everlasting love. Amen.

Blogger Jennifer said...

You are so right...each every night (as well as anew each morning) it is a choice - to rest in Him. Praying you have a week of restful night and peace-filled days! Love ya, friend.

Jennifer

Blogger Mimi said...

I pray that you had a restful sleep last night...and today I will pray for your rest tonight...
{{Hugs}}
Mimi

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing to share your heart with others. You are really touching so many lives and using yours as a witness for Christ.

Blogger Luanne said...

I am sure God will bring you to my mind--and I will pray for you as my head hits the pillow.

Blogger Charlotte said...

Darling Tammy,

You simply amaze me. I am in AWE of you. Your love, your words, your gift........YOU.....Thank you so much for being you. Your peaceful sleep will come my dear friend. Call me if you want to talk at 3 am.....because out here its only midnight and I would love to talk to you....xoxox Char

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet Dreams and comfort Tammy,
Blessing, Brenda

Post a Comment

Home

About Me