My Precious Grandpa

We lived with my grandpa when I was a little girl, so in many ways he is like my second dad.

I love him so much.

Memories of my grandpa make me smile even today...

riding in the tractor with him when he would plow the fields...

riding in the pick-up with him as he would feed the cattle...

watching him water his garden and fret about how to keep out the rabbits. (He always reminded me of Elmer Fudd, and I would tease him about those "wascally rabbits!")...

hearing him tell about a time when my sister and I were both riding in the tractor with him. According to the story, he had told us that we could stay in the field with him until one of us fell to sleep. A little later in the day, Grandpa noticed my sister asleep on the floor of the tractor. He asked me to "check" on her, and he said that I looked down real quick and then told him, "She's still awake!" I didn't want anything to keep from me being out there in the field with my grandpa!

Traveling to Oklahoma last week to spend Christmas with this precious man was just what I needed!! He cried when I walked into the room and so did I. Oh, how I love him.

I guess there's just so much about Grandpa's love for me that reminds me of God's love.

Unconditional. Never-ending. Deep. Abiding. Comforting. Forever.

And the list goes on and on.

I just had to share my grandpa with you.

Thankful for how God uses "real people" to model His love,


10 Comments:

Blogger Shaina N said...

My grampa was a very precious man in my life as well, so I can easily relate to you!

I loved the Elmer Fudd reference as well! So cute!

Blogger Cheri said...

I just love thinking back to grama and grampa days and I just LOVE memories and the way they can flood back unexpectedly.

So glad you Christmas was filled with love.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!

"Real People" modeling God's love...that is what I want to be. What a blessing your Grandpa has been to you!

hugs,
Kim

Blogger Bonnelle Pagel said...

This was precious! I hope to one day be this kind of a Grandparent... one who loves SO much! Thank you for sharing your Grandpa with us... I never knew my Grandpa's and so... through your memories of him I have glimpsed a dear sweet reflection of Jesus and an amazing Grandpa.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this. I love visiting the anchors of my family as well. They bring us a sense of stability in an unstable world.

Blogger Jennifer said...

What a sweet and precious post...I so loved the photo of you and your grandpa! All of you grandparents, as well as my parents are in Heaven with my Tyler....what a grand reunion that will be someday!

Glad you were able to spend time with him this Christmas. Love ya...

Blogger Rose said...

That story just made me smile! Aren't grampa's great? Mine taught me how to whistle through my hands (although I can't still do it, hard as I try!) Oh, and he was so funny. He used to draw eyeballs on my sister's glasses and once, when I asked how he met my grandma he told me that they "Met at a fire and it's been hot ever since!" and you know what? I always believed that until just recently it hit me that he certainly must have been kidding! Yes, cherish those grandpa's they really are so special.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My precious "pop" passed away in 2004. During the last couple years of his life, I helped take care of him. He had a green shirt that he loved to wear. I mean it was nothing for him to wear that green shirt at least 3 days a week.
I would get after him and he would just laugh and say something funny like, it still smells good.

Anyway, today I was looking at an old picture album. I come upon a picture of me going to my senior prom. (1988) There was me, looking all snazzy and Pop right beside of me with that same GREEN SHIRT on. I laughed my head off. That shirt was at least 16 years old in 2004!!

We are lucky gals, both having such precious men in our life.
I'm so glad that you got to spend time with your grandpa over the holidays.

I love you and thanks for letting me share a memory with you.

Francie

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherish this forever as I never got to know my Grandpaw's.
Blessings,
Brenda

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the archive you wirte is very good, but i think it will be better if you can say more..hehe,love your blog,,,

Post a Comment

Home

About Me