What Comes First??????

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes,



you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.



Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist..



Ephesians 6:13-14a







When I get dressed, a belt is usually one of the last things I think about putting on.



Honestly, I rarely wear a belt.



Reading that the armor of God BEGINS with "the belt of truth buckled around our waist" seems opposite to my thinking.



In my simple mind, the belt would be wrapped around my waist as a finishing touch, a piece of my armor that would pull all things together.



However, as I read some commentary thoughts this morning, I learned that in Bible days, the belt was extremely important and needed to go on BEFORE a soldier could probably carry his sword.



The belt had leather straps that hung down and protected the lower part of the soldier's body.



The belt encompassed him and secured all the other pieces of his armor.





Christians are told to place the belt of truth around their waist........first.



Without this truth, we are unable to securely carry God's message (His Word-our Sword) to a hurting and dying world.



Jn. 17:17 says that God's Word is truth.



As I think of John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God,".......it all begins to make sense.



The Word was in the beginning.



The Word is truth.



Therefore, truth comes first in our daily "putting on" of the armor of God.



We must wrap ourselves in His truth, in His Word......FIRST.





Today, I woke up with all sorts of things bouncing around in my mind.



Olivia's basketball schedule for the week, Todd's second week of dorm life at college, Erich's new job at Vanderbilt and Mallory starting her Masters at MTSU, Evan's quickly approaching move to California and Maria's job at Elliott County High School, Tim's responsibilities at KCU and church, my week at school, and on and on.................



As I began getting ready, I thought of the armor of God and how I knew I HAD to be wearing all of it in order to face today. I couldn't wait to sit down and take a look at the first part of the armor.




I had forgotten that it was the belt.



Maria walked into the kitchen as I was typing, and her first words were, "I couldn't find the belt that goes with this shirt, so I'm wearing a bigger belt. Can you tell?"





I couldn't believe those were her first words to me this morning of all mornings. I don't think I've ever heard her mention her belt before in my life.



I told her what I was writing about, and she couldn't believe it either.





When we wear a belt, we know when it feels right and when it doesn't.



To others, the change may not be noticeable, but to us, the change in style, size, and color affects how we feel.





The same goes with wearing the belt of truth.



We know when we are securely wrapped in God's truth and when we are trying to wrap ourselves in anything less than His perfect Word.





Today, I woke up with my belt loose.



Doubt, fear, and anxiety slipped in where the belt was not securely fastened.



I am so thankful that God gives such clear word pictures to help us in this tricky world.





I want to start my day with THE BELT OF TRUTH properly placed and securely fastened.





It's the only way I'll survive.





I'm praying that your belt of truth is secure too.



We know the truth and the truth sets us free.




Live victoriously today in the freedom that comes from being wrapped in His love and His truth,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

About Me