The Heart of a Child
I keep remembering the trip to North Carolina and how a simple moment on the journey reminded me that God longs for us to have....

the heart of a child.

As my husband and I passed through the mountains, we came to the long tunnel that we have gone through many times with our family while on vacation. The difference on this trip was the fact that we did not have children in our vehicle. As we cruised down the hill to enter the tunnel, I realized that neither of us were even commenting on what was coming....A TUNNEL!! Then as we went through the tunnel, we simply sat and talked of normal things like "Nick's health, the conference I would be attending, etc." Never once did we even acknowledge that WE WERE IN A TUNNEL!!!!!!!!!!! Our car held noone with.....

the heart of a child.

Normally, tunnels are a big deal to our car. The kids get excited when they see them coming. Even my husband jumps in on the excitement! By the time we reach the entrance, everyone in the car is gasping for one last breath and lifting their feet up into the air! The contest has then begun! As we barrel through the tunnel, silence fills the vehicle until one by one people start losing their ability to hold their breath and let out a huge sound of relief as they breathe in new air! The person who makes it the longest without breathing wins. Usually at least one person makes it to the very end of the tunnel (with great effort) and then EXPLODES as the car reenters the natural light of the sun. Oh the fun of....

the heart of a child!

But not Friday. Tim and I just sat there and missed the tunnel. Isn't life like this? Isn't church like this? When we stop seeing the world through a child's eyes, we become stiff, boring, unexcited even by the most exciting things! We miss so much when we lose........

the heart of a child!

Jesus had something pretty important to say about children in Matthew!

Matt. 18:2 He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

Thank you, God, for reminding me to long to live life with...

the heart of a child!


1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Tammy, we were so close this weekend and didn't even know it. I was in Charlotte with Mom and Dad for Rachel's (Lori's oldest) wedding. I had no idea you would be at the She Speaks conference, or that it was in Charlotte. We went through the same tunnel I'm sure. My little one seemed to enjoy it. It was his first tunnel!

Post a Comment

Home

About Me