Cancer Affects Everyone in a Family
This is our second oldest son, Evan, and our daughter, Olivia, who we adopted from India. They went along for the trip to Virginia this past weekend with us to support Nick at the motorcycle "ride-in." Looking at this picture makes me smile, but it also makes my heart ache. Because of Nick's illness, our family has really been transformed. Evan, now 18, was only 12 when Nick first got sick. He holds a lot of anger and fear deep inside. Olivia, now 10, was only 4 when Nick first got sick. She holds in a lot of insecurities and feelings of jealousy because of all of the attention Nick receives. Juggling all of our kid's emotions has been very draining, but God has been with us every step of the way providing just what we need for the next day.

I am thankful for the smiles God still continues to place on our kid's faces! I pray for them daily that they will grow and become stronger Christians because of the road our family is walking. I pray a hedge of protection around their hearts and minds as they see a side of life that is scary and unfair almost daily.

And I pray for all other children across this world who face illness directly or indirectly....that God will cover them with His neverending love.


8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Tammy,

Your post was timely and appropriate for me today - thanks for sharing. As you pray for other kids affected by cancer...then you are praying for my two teenagers..what a blessing that is to me! I really like the picture of your kids - thanks!

Jennifer

Blogger Sheryl said...

Beautiful kids! I'm glad to know how to be praying for them too. I can understand their emotions. You are right though, God will use this in lives in a mighty way.

-Sheryl

Blogger Susan said...

Hey Tammy,

Just dropping by to say hi.

Yes, I totally understand about how cancer affects your other children, and us too!

We have to be extra sensitive to their needs and concerns.

Thanks for sharing your heart, I'll remember to include your other children in my prayers as well.

Hope you guys have a great weekend.

Blogger Sheryl said...

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words again. I'm amazed that people who are going through so much still reach out to others. I so appreciate that.

Praying & trusting,
Sheryl

Blogger Living Beyond said...

I know you can't see it now but all this will work together for good in their lives. When I was young some unfortunate circumstances came into my life that made me incredibly insecure - I wouldn't have though that God could turn them around and lead me into an incredibly secure adulthood - but He did and He can and He will - with your kids too.

Blogger Kelly said...

I'm visiting from Lysa's blog on She Speaks. You seem like a wonderfully strong woman in Christ, and I am sorry for the struggles your family is facing. I pray the Lord will bless and keep you. And God willing, I'll see you at She Speaks.

Blogger Van said...

Your children are beautiful! Adversities in life prepare us for the hard knocks we will certainly face down the road. Your children are being strengthened. They will stand stong and tall during times of trouble, while others will fall. God knew exactly what He was doing when he place your children in your home!

Blogger Joyfulsister said...

Aloha Tammy.. I will keep Nick in prayer. You're Olivia reminds me of my Mariah, they both are the same age. Mariah loves to write and if Olivia would like a pen-pal from Hawaii, Mariah would be happy to send a note her way. I know how children can have fears and go through a lot of feelings when someone they love gets sick. When I was going through Chemo Mariah had a lot of fears and I saw her go through alot of emotions.Even my oldest daughter was affected in her own way. For me living with a chronic illness with no cure has become the most intimate times with the Lord I have ever experienced.I leave what i cannot control in his hands and trust in the promises of his word. Blessings Lorie

Post a Comment

Home

About Me