Why I Teach..........

I'm reading a book right now called, "Igniting a Passion for Reading."  I'd love to work in the same school as the man who penned this amazing guide for teachers. 

He inspired me to teach this last nine weeks of reading in a whole new way, allowing my students to devour books as gifts not simply as another way to answer questions on a test.

I long for all students to have a quiet place where they can become part of the book they are reading-travel to different lands, become people they may never have the chance to be.

I want this for my own children.

I hope you will find a few minutes today to curl up with a good book.. 

Here's my transformed classroom.    My happiest moments at school are when I catch a glimpse of a student smiling as they read a book. :)

Happy Reading,



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy!
Ever hear this quote:
“Education is not filling a bucket, but lighting a fire.” (William Butler Yates) Kind of reminds me of what you wrote about in your blog.

Love your cozy reading corner! Makes me long to teach again!

Thinking of you; praying for you!

Love, "Another Tammy" (in PA--Laurie's sister!)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! Must give the correct man the proper credit: The above comment should have read "William Butler YEATS"--not Yates!

Anonymous tammy nischan said...

I love that quote!! I think I'll post that on my door!!

Thanks, Tammy. I love you and miss you!! :)

Have a great day!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious, what grade do you teach? I am retired and hear so much now teaching to the test, that I want to cry and scream. My passion was reading and writing, and so my friends tell me that it has all changed since testing has taken over the love of learning and letting kids take the time in class just to read and write with no boundaries. Happy reading to you and your children. Nothing like it. Sandy

Blogger Sherry Jenkins said...

your school kids are so lucky to have such a creative teacher as you, Tammy. I had a reading corner in my classroom and the kids loved it. Sometmes, I just let them pick any place they wanted to read. They really liked that and were very creative themselves. Thanks for being such a great teacher who loves to teach. :O)

Anonymous Tammy Nischan said...

Sandy,

Your friends are right in many way. Testing has really placed a burden on teachers and consumed many parts of the educational process. I am trying desperately to work around the standards and still be the kind of teacher I loved having in school. It is not always easy. :( Pray for teachers any time you think of them.

Love you!

Tammy

Anonymous Tammy Nischan said...

Sherry,

I'd love to sit in your classroom and be inspired! :) Hope all is well with you and your family!

Oh, Sandy, I meant to say I'll bet you were an amazing teacher too!

Love,
Tammy

Post a Comment

Home

About Me