Battlefield of the Mind: Week Eight -What is a normal mind?????

When I read the title of the next chapter in Battlefield of the MInd, I definitely wondered the same thing as Christine in her post from Friday,

"Who gets to define a normal mind?" 

Joyce uses God's Word to explain that God designed for our minds to be at peace and in line with His voice.  However, we tend to get caught up in worry, anxiety,  and fear, which causes our mind to be too busy to hear God.

She uses the illustration of two people trying to whisper to each other in a crowded and noisy room.  Even though they are trying to communicate, there words are lost in the chaos surrounding them.

Remember when God found Elijah in a cave and wanted to speak to him?

1 Kings 19:11-12

The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."
      Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 

When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
      Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?"

Elijah was only able to hear God when He spoke in a gentle whisper.  Many times we expect God to speak in HUGE ways, but I believe that God likes to show up in the little things around us...Only if we are tuned in to Him (and only Him) are we going to be able to hear what He has to say!

In the world's eyes, a normal mind probably wouldn't be defined as one that is at peace, listening for the voice of God.  However, I am much more concerned about how God's eyes view a normal mind.

God calls us to "be still" and know that He is God.

The secret to a normal mind can be found in Isaiah 26:3, 

You will keep in perfect peace
       him whose mind is steadfast,
       because he trusts in you.

This past weekend I was at a speaker/writer conference in North Carolina called She Speaks.  I had such a wonderful time, and I learned so much!

But as I drove back home today all by myself (about a 6 hour journey), I found myself slipping away from having a steadfast mind.  I began feeling anxious about a few things at home, about some upcoming events in my life, and about what to do with all the things I had learned over the weekend.  Thankfully, I had some great praise and worship music to listen to!  And thankfully, I had some Joyce Meyer CDs in my car that were all about the topic:  "Where the mind goes the man follows!"

Thank you, Lord, for preventing me from becoming discouraged when the devil was trying so diligently to bring me down.

I know that God has a beautiful plan.  I know that if I continue to sow in tears I will reap songs of joy.  I know that God has a plan and a purpose for my life.  I know that He has already gone ahead of me to make the rough places so smooth!

So, I took all my "bad" thoughts captive and made them obedient to Christ, and NOW I can crawl into bed and sleep peacefully!  Because my mind is at peace and "normal" in God's eyes.

God has a plan and a purpose for you too!

God has gone before you to make smooth all of your rough places!

God promises that you will sing songs of joy if you find yourself in a season of sowing in tears. 

All of our losses will be redeemed!  I cling to that promise!

Much, much love,



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Just reading your bio and amazed at your strength!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is so amazing...even when we are not faithful or tend to grumble or complain God is faithful and gracious and merciful and works/smooths out the rough places for us...I"m speaking of myself...in the little things; small details of my life I get the biggest thrill or joy when I see God move or work...He is amazing.
Love you so much Tammy!

Hugs,
Cheryl S

Post a Comment

Home

About Me