Early Duty............

Wednesday and Thursday mornings I have "early duty" at school.

This means that from 7:20 until about 7:40 I stand in the cafeteria and watch high school students eat breakfast, making sure everyone is safe and obeying school rules.

While this isn't the highlight of my life, I try to make the best of it.  I try to compliment students who have their hair fixed new ways or who are wearing outfits that look especially cute.  I try to salute the boys in ROTC uniforms.  I try to make sure the kids who pass me end up with a smile if they didn't have one as they approached.

After all, I'm not just a teacher in this chapter of my life.

I'm a Christian teacher.

And even though I may not be able to share everything about my faith in a public school, I can share the joy of being saved by the way I present myself to the students.

I wouldn't want them to be surprised if they visited the church I attend and saw me there.  As I was reading this morning in I Corinthians 15, I was struck by verse 58:

"So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable.

Always work enthusiastically for the Lord,

for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless."

I thought to myself as I was reading, "Even early duty isn't useless if I do it enthusiastically for the Lord." 

I wonder what you are doing today that may seem useless.

I just want to encourage you with this thought:  Do whatever you are doing "for the Lord" enthusiastically and suddenly it will become the most important event ever!!!

I love you,



3 Comments:

Blogger Cy said...

A good thing might be to tell a student who just got an A that they only got lucky. That way they develop a "lucky" feeling.

Anonymous Tammy said...

Cy,

You made me laugh out loud! :) Love you!

Tammy

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always felt everyday teaching was working for the Lord. We have those children in our hands and we have to be loving, smile, and teach when we don't want to for some reason or another on a particular day. No job gets so much attention in one day than teaching with 25 or more children looking at you and how you react. Thankfully the Lord stood beside me each day. Teaching is a job that touches lives forever. Hugs to you today. Sandy

Post a Comment

Home

About Me