Open My Ears....

My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.



James 1:19-21



I love the old hymn that contains this verse,



Open my ears, that I may hear
voices of truth thou sendest clear;
and while the wavenotes fall on my ear,
everything false will disappear.
Silently now I wait for thee,
ready, my God, thy will to see.
Open my ears, illumine me, Spirit divine!



This morning as I find myself rushing around


(This is morning Olivia and I go to breakfast every week at 6:45






 and she remembered late last night after basketball 
that she needs chocolate chip


muffin mix for school today,





so I'm trying to figure that out in my head while I rush around.)


I'm thankful that I paused to read the next few verses in James.





Just before I read them, I looked up and read the message board







 on the wall right in front of me and it says, 


'Let us be silent that we may hear the whisper of God."


closed my eyes for a moment as my computer was booting up,


and just soaked in the thought of Him,


the presence of Him even in the midst of my crazy morning.




 I am so thankful He is here.  





When I am quick to listen and slow to speak,



I become much more like the person He longs for me to be.


I had a friend who was so quick to listen and slow to speak.





Sitting with her was always so relaxing,



because she just enjoyed being together sipping hot tea.





When she passed away, I knew that God was smiling



because she had learned the secret to simply being with Him.


When I sat down this morning, Debbie Pickens was so far from mind;






 but in my stillness, in the quiet, God has brought


her to mind and I am so thankful.



Thinking of her always reminds me of what is most important



and what God longs for our lives to focused on.



Him.


Not speaking out just because I have something to say.



Not becoming angry when things don't go my way.Not the things of this world.


No, God longs for us to accept His Word humbly


and simply be still and


savor the gift of salvation.





Debbie did this daily.


I never saw her angry or upset.


She smiled, she listened,



and she had a peace that passes understanding.



Today, I pray that all of you can have s

Debbie Pickens' kind-of day.


I love you all so much,


1 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Cotton Memory said...

I am learning to listen - to listen for Him and to listen to others - for me that is the hard part - I love to communicate - but perfect communication flows both ways.

Hope beakfast was a blessing!

Post a Comment

Home

About Me