Preparing the Soil..............

garden and sunrise 069

Before planting any seeds in my new little garden, I have to be sure the soil is ready. 

So, I bought some topsoil and fertilizer and went to a friend's house who lives on a creek and filled some bags with sand.garden and sunrise 046

Then a couple of my husband's friends from church came down last night to begin the tilling process.  The ground had never been tilled before, so it took Mike and Terry a good while to get it all broken up. (Thank you, guys, for giving up some of your time to help us.) They plan to come back today after the soil has dried out a bit so they can work in the sand and then till the garden a little deeper.garden and sunrise 049

Shew!

Plants can't grow just anywhere, can they?

All of this garden preparation reminds me of the time when Jesus told the parable of the sower and his seeds.....and how important it was for the seeds to fall on good soil.

Matthew 13:8

Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop-a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.

garden and sunrise 048 I want my garden to produce good crops.  In order to do this, I have to take the time to get the soil ready and some of this work I cannot do alone or without the right equipment.

I can't help but think of the meaning behind Jesus' story.  He was trying to explain to the disciples that not everyone who heard about the Kingdom of God would accept it.  Seeds would sometimes be planted by the disciples that would never grow in the hearts of those in the audience.

What did it take for the seeds to grow in the hearts of people?  Jesus said it took hearing the word and understanding it. 

Matthew 13:23

But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

All of this soil preparation for my earthly garden has me asking myself two questions about my spiritual one:

1.  What kind of soil am I?

2.  Am I helping prepare the soil of someone's heart so that others can plant seeds for the Kingdom?

As you venture through life today, I hope you'll see yourself as a soil preparer...

causing others to long to know more about what gives you joy and peace in spite of your life's troubles.

OR

Maybe your own soil has been broken, tilled, and softened lately.  If so, God is probably preparing you for new growth in some area.

For me, the past few years have been a time of deep soil breaking....

I long to see the harvest of God's work in my heart.  I want to be more like Him and understand more about His Kingdom everyday.

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. Then you will understand what is right and just and fair-every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul" (Proverbs 2:1-10).


My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body. Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." (Proverbs 4:20-23)

Thankful to share life with all of you and know that the Creator of the first garden walks with me and you just as He walked with Adam and Eve so very long ago,

 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

About Me