Invitation to Rest............

One thing that strikes me about most students I encounter in life is this,

most of them are tired.

When I'm walking down a hall and pass a student and say, "How are you doing?"

The response is almost always the same,  "Tired."

Actually, many of my friends would say the same thing, "I'm so tired. I'm just worn out."

Last night, I realized that I had reached a point of exhaustion.

A three-day trip away from home with high school kids combined with an already incredibly busy month had pushed me against a wall that was bringing out a side of me I do not like.

I decided the best thing to do was crawl in bed......at 7:30.

I ended up reading for a bit but by 9 p.m. I was out for the night,

and this morning I'm feeling a little better.

Sometimes, we just have to know it's okay to pull away from our normal routines and rest.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how technology has affected our lives, and I'm just wondering if teens today aren't more exhausted because of the never-ending access to cell phones, laptops, IPads and on and on....that keep them "connected" to friends from the minute they wake up until the minute they fall to sleep.

When I got home from school as a teenager, I was really home and away from all the activities of school life unless the phone rang and a friend called.

Nowadays kids have to deal with non-stop relationships every minute they are awake.

So do adults unless they choose to set boundaries on technology.

I'm just as guilty as the next person, but I'm feeling a personal challenge rising up in me.

A challenge to not be accessible for several hours every evening except by face-to-face contact.

A cup of coffee.

A walk.

A time of swinging on the front porch.

That's what I'm longing for.

I think God longs for that kind of time with us too.

Just us and Him.

Quiet.

Solitude.

Peace.

We can't hear what our soul is saying if we are busy doing all the talking and texting and tweeting.

I am inviting myself and each of you to consider choosing one night a week to simply unplug and be still.

I believe we will love it so much that it will grow to be more than one evening a week.

My morning quiet time is my favorite time of the day...........and I want to start ending my day in the same way.

I also want to be more aware of times throughout the day when I can simply pull away internally and spend a few minutes with God.

Simply being still.

God deserves more of me than anyone else in the world.

He deserves more of you too.

He longs to be our best friend.

And best friends deserve quality time with us.

This morning, as I venture to get ready for yet another busy day, I'm looking forward to sharing today with not only co-workers but also the Creator of the Universe.

I want to rest in Him all day long.

He wants you to rest in Him too.

For just a minute, close your eyes and consider how blessed you are even if you are in the middle of a tough season of life.

You have direct access to the throne of the Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

Approach His throne today and rest in His love.

Matt. 11:28

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.



2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love this idea. I am living alone but find that since I got an IPad that is always on and sits on a table by my chair that I am constantly picking it up and checking or googling a question, or finding a recipe or something. I need to be intentional about tuning out that world and thinking on the things of God.

thank you for the reminder to rest in Him.

Blogger Unknown said...

Just thinking of you in Australia, focused on the same Creator, makes me smile!

I love you!

I hope one day we get to meet while on this planet!

In Him,
Tammy

Post a Comment

Home

About Me