Sleep..........we all need it



Luke 22
45When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46"Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."

Have you ever wondered how the disciples felt when Jesus left them alone in the garden and went away to pray alone?

I wonder if they were confused, scared, disappointed?

They loved Jesus so much. I can't help but think that they longed to hear what He was saying to His Father. And the tension had to be thick in the air at that time. Everything about Jesus' ministry was building in its intensity. So I am sure they really didn't know what to pray.

So, what did they do during this deeply emotional opportunity to pray for Jesus and "with" Jesus from a distance?

They fell to sleep.

That's right. They couldn't keep their eyes open and their minds working.

I wonder if they nudged each other. I wonder if one of them got sleepy first and the others gave him a hard time? I wonder if they were frustrated that they just couldn't pull through for their leader?

It's hard to even imagine walking up on this scene and feeling the sadness as these men sensed that life was soon going to change forever. They had probably had many, many nights of restless sleeping. They had been trying to keep up with the needs of crowds of people.

They were tired.

I guess this is heavily on my mind this morning as I rush to get ready for a day of subbing, because last night I could not stay awake to do the things I wanted and needed to do.

Sometimes exhaustion wins.

Sometimes even those closest to Jesus gave in to their exhaustion.

So, I write this morning just to say that if you're tired, sad, disappointed, worn out, confused, scared, and the list goes on and on.........

Maybe the best thing you could do is curl up early tonight and get a good night of sleep!

I know it helped me. But then when you can find the strength to "wake up," Jesus says, 'Wake up and pray!"


Praying my way through the day after a good night of much-needed sleep,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

About Me